Pickled Shrimp on Rye
Recipe adapted from Edmund's Oast, Charleston, SC
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus overnight pickling
Cook Time: 3 to 4 minutes
Total Time: 34 minutes
8 cups water
½ cup kosher salt
1 yellow onion, halved
2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
3 bay leaves
1 pound large shrimp (21 to 25 count), peeled and deveined
1 red onion, cut into 1-inch slices
1 bulb fennel, cut into 1-inch slices
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch slices
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
½ cup Champagne vinegar
½ cup lemon juice
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup loosely packed parsley leaves
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 lemons, peels removed with a vegetable peeler
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 slices of rye bread
4 dill sprigs
1. In a large pot over high heat, add the water, salt, onion, Old Bay and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and add the shrimp. Poach until nearly cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain in a colander; discard onion and bay leaves. When the shrimp are cool enough to handle, cut them in half lengthwise.
2. In a large bowl, combine the red onion, fennel, red bell pepper and celery and sprinkle with the salt. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, tossing every 5 minutes. Rinse the vegetables with water, rinse the bowl and return vegetables to the bowl. Add the sliced shrimp, Champagne vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, allspice berries, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and lemon peels and mix well to combine. Pack into pint-size mason jars, topping off each jar with some of the pickling liquid.
3. Refrigerate the shrimp for 24 hours, then transfer to a large bowl and remove and discard the lemon peels, bay leaves and allspice berries. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and garlic.
5. Preheat a grill pan to medium-high heat. Brush each slice of rye bread on both sides with the olive oil and grill until crisp, about 2 minutes on each side. Spread a tablespoon of mayonnaise on each slice of rye bread; top with pickled shrimp and garnish with a sprig of dill.