In Brian Hart Hoffman's latest volume of Bake from Scratch, airy chiffon cake takes a page out of an Almond Joy's flavor playbook. Chocolate, almonds and three types of coconut make for a nutty, stunning dessert that'll please a crowd.
Coconut Almond Marble Chiffon Cake
Recipe from Bake from Scratch Vol. 3, by Brian Hart Hoffman
Yield: One 10-inch cake
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
For the Cake:
1¾ cups granulated sugar, divided
¼ cup hot water
½ ounce 56% cacao semisweet chocolate
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1¾ cake flour
½ cup almond meal
½ cup desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon kosher salt
¾ cup water
½ cup coconut oil
5 large egg yolks
1½ teaspoons almond extract
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
8 large egg whites
⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
Chocolate ganache, to garnish (recipe follows)
Toasted almonds, to garnish
Toasted unsweetened coconut flakes, to garnish
For the Ganache:
6 ounces 56% cacao semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour the bottom of a 10-inch tube pan.
2. In the top of a double boiler, stir together ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup hot water, chocolate, and baking soda. Cook over simmering water until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat; let cool.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, almond meal, coconut, baking powder, salt, and remaining 1½ cups sugar. Make a well in center of flour mixture; add ¾ cup water, oil, egg yolks, and extracts, whisking until smooth.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites at high speed until soft peaks form. Add cream of tartar, and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold one-third of egg whites into flour mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites. Transfer one-third of batter to a medium bowl; add cooled chocolate mixture, stirring until well combined. Alternate pouring yellow and chocolate batters into prepared pan. Using a knife, swirl batters together.
5. Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
6. Make the ganache: Place chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream and butter to a simmer over medium-low heat. Pour hot cream mixture over chocolate. Let stand for 2 minutes; whisk until melted and smooth. Let cool until desired consistency is reached.
7. When the cake is done, invert in pan over a glass bottle, and let cool completely. Using a knife, loosen cake from sides and center of pan. Gently remove from pan. Pour Chocolate Ganache over cooled cake. Garnish with almonds and coconut, if desired.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.