This classic casserole is convenience cooking to a T, using prepared ingredients like canned soup and sour cream. But one bite, and you'll overlook the prepackaged stuff and go back for seconds.
To learn more, read "Soup to Nuts."
Chicken Casserole with Campbell's Canned Soup
Recipe adapted from Laura Palmer
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 package egg noodles
One 10¾-ounce can cream of mushroom soup
One 10¾-ounce can cream of chicken soup
One 8-ounce container sour cream
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 slices white bread
1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. In a medium saucepan, cover the chicken breasts with cold, salted water by 1 inch and bring to a low boil over medium-high heat. Simmer the chicken breasts until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the chicken out of the liquid and set aside to cool. Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred into small pieces.
3. Meanwhile, bring the cooking liquid back to a boil and cook the egg noodles until slightly underdone, 6 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, mix together the shredded chicken, noodles, soups and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper. Place the mixture into a lightly greased 11½-by-7½-by-2-inch oblong pan. Crumble the bread over the top of the casserole, then pour the melted butter evenly over the top.
5. Bake until slightly browned on top, 20 minutes. Serve warm.