We love a good braise, especially when we can take our favorite recipe and cut the cooking time down to one hour. Simply sear a chuck roast before adding it to your Instant Pot with caramelized vegetables, rehydrated porcini mushrooms and beef stock for a tender roast in a rich, flavorful broth. Let this dish convince you that it's always the right time to make a pot roast.
If you're short on time, you can throw all the ingredients straight into your Instant Pot, but searing the meat first makes a world of difference. The golden crust adds flavor to the braise, as well as creates a fond on the bottom of the pan, which then gets picked up after you caramelize the vegetables. Once that's done, your Instant Pot will do the rest.
Instant Pot RoastRecipe from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
¼ cup dried porcini, rehydrated
½ cup boiling water
2 tablespoons olive oil
One 4-to-4½-pound chuck roast
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
⅓ cup tomato paste
3 garlic cloves, smashed
2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
2 bay leaves
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
2 cups beef stock
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1. Place the dried porcini in a small heatproof bowl and cover with the boiling water. Let rehydrate while you sear the chuck roast.
2. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over high heat. Season the chuck roast with salt and pepper, and sear, turning as needed, until the entire roast is golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the seared roast to the bowl of an Instant Pot.
3. To the pot that you seared the roast in, add the tomato paste, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme, bay leaves and onion, and cook until the vegetables are softened and the paste begins to caramelize, 4 to 5 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the stock and red wine vinegar. Pour the contents over the chuck roast in the Instant Pot, along with the rehydrated porcini and their soaking liquid.
4. Seal the Instant Pot according to the manufacturer's instructions and cook on high pressure for 45 minutes. Let depressurize, then remove the roast and transfer to a cutting board to slice. Season the cooking liquid with salt and pepper.
5. Spoon some of the vegetables onto a platter and fan slices of the pot roast over top. Drizzle the cooking liquid on top, then serve.
Bourbon-Hibiscus Cocktail with Champagne Ice →
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.