Apples and honey are Rosh Hashanah staples, and this recipe from Cara Peterson and Alon Shaya of Saba in New Orleans combines the two in one perfect spread. Learn how to make your own challah here, then build a holiday-ready bread board complete with toppings like grated tomato, dates, labneh and shoug.
Honey Apple Butter
Recipe adapted from Cara Peterson and Alon Shaya, Saba, New Orleans LA
Yield: 2 cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours and 15 minutes
1 cup apple cider
½ cup orange juice
1 pound apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
¼ cup honey
1 teaspoon Morton's kosher salt
1½ tablespoons dark brown sugar
½ teaspoon orange blossom honey
1 teaspoon baharat (or substitute pumpkin pie spice)
1. Place apple cider, orange juice, chopped apples, honey, salt and sugar in a sauce pot and bring to simmer.
2. Cover and cook at a simmer, stirring frequently. for 1½ to 2 hours.
3. Place the contents in a food processor and blend until smooth.
4. Put the mixture back in the pot. Add the honey and baharat (or pumpkin pie spice). Bring back to a simmer and cook until the apple butter is thickened.
5. Chill the honey apple butter and serve with challah.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.