When it comes to gift giving, everyone has that friend: the one who shows up with a container of homemade peppermint bark. Everyone loves said friend—and now, with this recipe, you can be that friend.
For the least mess when crushing the candy canes, place them unwrapped in a Ziploc bag and repeatedly tap it with a rolling pin. You'll inevitably be left with some sugary dust to sift out, but don't throw it away—add it to the melted white chocolate to boost the mint factor. And since chocolate is front and center in this story, it’s important to spring for a top brand. Generally, anything you'd be thrilled to eat on its own is good for turning into bark.
Don't wait until the chocolate is completely set, otherwise the two layers won't stick together once dry. The bottom layer should be slightly melty still so that when you touch it, you're left with a thin layer of chocolate on your fingertips . . . and you know how to clean that test up.
To learn more, read “Board of Confections.”
Recipe from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen
Yield: About 24 pieces
Prep Time: 10 minutes, plus chilling time
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes, plus chilling time
2 cups (12 ounces) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi–Sweet Chocolate Morsels
2 cups (12 ounces) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Premier White Morsels
1 cup crushed candy canes (about 9 whole ones), sifted with dust reserved
1. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan completely with foil and set aside.
2. Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
3. Lower the heat to medium low, then place the semisweet chocolate in a heatproof bowl resting on top of the pot of simmering water.
4. Stir to melt the chocolate until completely smooth, about 5 minutes, making sure no water gets in the bowl as you're working.*
5. Pour the chocolate into the prepared pan and spread it evenly across the bottom. Place in the refrigerator to cool until just set, 10 to 15 minutes.
6. When the semisweet chocolate is nearly ready, repeat steps 2 through 4 with the white chocolate. When the white chocolate is completely melted, stir in the reserved candy cane dust.
7. Immediately pour the white chocolate over the semisweet layer, spreading evenly to cover. Sprinkle the candy canes on top, then chill the bark in the refrigerator until firm, about 1 hour. Cut the bark into pieces and serve.
*For alternative melting instructions: Microwave morsels in a small microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute on medium-high power, then stir until smooth. Morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.