There’s a good chance you already love chocolate mixed with peanut butter, so here's your opportunity to graduate to the next level and try chocolate and tahini. The ground sesame paste has a rich, nutty taste, even though there’s not a nut to be found: It's made from seeds. In this recipe, tahini cake is topped with chocolate ganache before getting a sprinkling of sesame seeds and sea salt. Consider it the the grown-up version of a chocolate peanut butter cup.
Chewy cake topped with smooth, fudgy ganache creates the perfect blend of textures. Make the ganache while the cake is baking, so you can spread it on top while the cake is still warm. This will make it easier to achieve a smooth, even layer of ganache that’s ready for a sprinkling of sesame seeds and sea salt.
Recipe from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen
Yield: One 9-by-13-inch tray
Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus cooling and chilling time
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes, plus cooling and chilling time
For the Bars:
1 cup tahini
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1¼ cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
For the Ganache and Garnish:
1½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons tahini
1½ tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
Flaky sea salt, for garnish
1. Make the bars: Preheat the oven to 350º. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the tahini and butter together to incorporate. Add the sugar and cream until light and fluffy, 2 minutes.
2. With the motor running, add the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated, followed by the vanilla and salt. Add the flour and mix until a thick batter forms. Transfer to a parchment-lined 9-by-13-inch pan and, using an offset spatula, spread into an even layer.
3. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes, then set aside.
4. Meanwhile, make the ganache: In a medium bowl over a double boiler, combine the chocolate, butter and tahini. Whisk until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth, 5 minutes.
5. Using an offset spatula, spread the ganache in an even layer over the warm cake. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and garnish with flaky sea salt. Let cool, then chill until firm, 1 hour, before cutting into squares or rectangles, and serving.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.