San Francisco's Bluestem Brasserie is known for putting topical spins on its sweets, and earlier this year, restaurant co-owner Adam Jed and pastry consultant Lori Baker launched a Simpsons-themed dessert menu fit for Homer Simpson himself. The desserts take their cues from the show's characters, like the East Side Cookie Kwan (named after the cutthroat realtor), which pairs these warm dark chocolate chunk cookies with a sea salt and cookies 'n' cream milkshake.
Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Recipe adapted from Lori Baker, Bluestem Brasserie, San Francisco, CA
Yield: About 25 cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus chilling time
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes, plus chilling time
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
1¼ cups brown sugar
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1½ teaspoons salt
1¼ cups cake flour
1½ cups bread flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 pound bittersweet chocolate, chopped
Sea salt, for garnish
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and both sugars together for 10 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in the vanilla and salt.
2. Add the flours, baking powder and baking soda, then stir in the chocolate chunks.
3. Scoop the cookie dough with a ¼-cup scoop, place on a baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
4. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°.
5. Sprinkle the cookies with sea salt and bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.