How Chefs and Fans Are Remembering Anthony Bourdain
In the week since Anthony Bourdain's tragic death, his friends and, fans have joined chefs and celebrities in pouring forth with words and photos in commemoration.
• This opinion piece in The Washington Post about "why Iranians love Bourdain."
• CNN collected stories from readers about what Bourdain meant to them.
• Netflix announced that it would keep Parts Unknown available to stream.
• The New York Times on what he meant to people of color.
The travel host Anthony Bourdain, whose memoir “Kitchen Confidential” about the dark corners of New York’s restaurants started a career in TV, died today at 61. For the past several years, @anthonybourdain hosted the show @partsunknowncnn on @cnn. He was working on an episode in Strasbourg, France, when he killed himself in a hotel room, the network said. “It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague,” @cnn said in a statement. The news prompted an outpouring of grief on social media for the writer and TV host who charmed many with his unvarnished, thoughtful commentary. @chefaz, a fellow celebrity chef, said that @anthonybourdain’s last year had been his happiest. “A piece of my heart is truly broken this morning,” @chefaz wrote on Twitter. “And the irony, the sad cruel irony is that the last year he’d never been happier. The rest of my heart aches for the 3 amazing women he left behind. Tony was a symphony. I wish everyone could have seen all of him. A true friend.” @alexwelshphoto took this portrait in New York in 2015. Visit the link in our profile to read more about #AnthonyBourdain, who cultivated a renegade style and bad-boy persona in everything he did.
• "Rest in Power," world-famous chef Alex Atala said.
• In a new podcast episode, David Chang opened up about mental health issues and the stigma of it all.
• As did The Splendid Table, during which former host Lynne Rossetto Kasper joined current host Francis Lam for the special.
• Andrew Zimmern wore a pair of Bourdain's boots to honor him, saying, "My heart is heavy."
• Noma's René Redzepi posted a 2011 picture of an absolute power table.
• Eddie Huang, Baohaus chef and Fresh off the Boat creator, wrote about his friendship with Bourdain in Rolling Stone.
• Dominique Ansel called him "an incredible mind who opened up the entire world to us through food."
A chef’s chef, a brilliant storyteller, and an incredible mind who opened up the entire world to us through food and the people he met along the way. Tony once asked me in an interview how I would feel about “Creator of the Cronut®” being on my tombstone. Years later, I admitted to him that question haunted me and led me to push myself to create more. He laughed out loud and said he was glad he asked it. Tony addresses things others think about but are afraid or uncomfortable to ask, in hopes of challenging and changing things for the better. It was my favorite thing about him. RIP @anthonybourdain, you will be missed.
• Anderson Cooper's tribute video will make you cry.
• Jada Pinkett Smith spoke out about how important it is to pay attention to mental health matters.
• David Simon, creator of The Wire, penned an essay in his honor.
• Chrissy Teigen called him "unapologetic, passionate and one of the best storytellers on the planet."
• Pearl Jam dedicated opening night of their tour to him and Kate Spade.
• Similarly, U2 sang in his honor at the Apollo Theater in New York.
“Low plastic stool, cheap but delicious noodles, cold Hanoi beer.” This is how I’ll remember Tony. He taught us about food — but more importantly, about its ability to bring us together. To make us a little less afraid of the unknown. We’ll miss him. pic.twitter.com/orEXIaEMZM— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) June 8, 2018
• People were quick to transform his former restaurant, Les Halles, with flowers and notes as a memorial.
• One of those notes read, "I escaped to other cultures through your eyes."
• The members of our online cookbook club took to the kitchen, cooking their way through his recipes.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.