Streamline the "drinks and dessert" course more efficiently at your next dinner party with the help of this rum bundt cake recipe from Brooke Bell's delightful new cookbook, Cake. The cinnamon- and nutmeg-scented batter gets a boost from rum extract, and the simple glaze on top ensures that a rum punch is the first thing you experience when you dig in. Go the distance by swapping in coconut rum, if you're into that sort of thing.
Spiced Rum Bundt Cake
Recipe adapted from "Cake," by Brooke Bell
Yield: About 12 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, plus cooling time
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes, plus cooling time
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
1½ cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons rum extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1¾ teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons ground nutmeg
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1¼ cups whole buttermilk
2 cups confectioners' sugar
¼ cup whole milk
1½ tablespoons spiced rum
Grated fresh nutmeg, to garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Spray a 10-cup bundt pan with baking spray with flour.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in rum extract.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture beating until just combined after each addition. Spoon into prepared pan.
4. Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar, milk, and rum until smooth. Pour over cooled cake. Garnish with nutmeg, if desired.