At Finch & Fork in Santa Barbara, chef James Siao is reimagining all your favorite American classics with a California spin—including deviled eggs. Instead of a sprinkling of paprika, he tops each half (colored bright pink, thanks to a beet brine) with smoked trout, olive relish and sharp pickled shallots. And though this recipe is a bit more complex than your grandma's, the eggs can be made well ahead of time and garnished right before serving.
To learn more, read “Center Stage.”
Smoked Trout and Olive Deviled EggsRecipe adapted from James Siao, Finch & Fork, Santa Barbara, CA
Yield: 24 deviled eggs
Prep Time: 35 minutes, plus pickling time
Cook Time: N/A
Total Time: 35 minutes, plus pickling time
For the Pickled Shallots:
6 large shallots, peeled
1 cup distilled white vinegar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
½ tablespoon mustard seeds
½ teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
For the Olive Relish:
½ cup finely chopped kalamata olives
½ cup chopped Castelvetrano olives
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
For the Beet Brine:
2 cups Champagne vinegar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups water
1 large red beet, sliced
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
For the Deviled Eggs:
12 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
⅓ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
3 dashes Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons, plus 2 tablespoons, finely chopped chives, divided
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
6 ounces smoked trout (or other smoked fish)
¼ cup olive relish
¼ cup pickled shallots
1. Make the pickled shallots: Slice the shallots into thin rings and place in a medium bowl. In a small pot, combine the remaining pickled shallot ingredients and bring to a boil until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over the shallots and place a plate on top to submerge them; let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight, covered with plastic wrap or in a sealed container.
2. Make the olive relish: Combine all of the olive relish ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Make the beet brine: Combine all of the beet brine ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and cool before using to brine the eggs.
4. Make the deviled eggs: Soak the hard-boiled eggs in the beet brine for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the eggs from the brine, cut each one in half and separate the yolks.
5. In a bowl, whisk together the yolks, mayonnaise, mustards, Tabasco, Worcestershire and 2 teaspoons of the chopped chives until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Fill a piping bag with the yolk mixture and fill each egg white half to the top. Top each egg with pieces of smoked trout, a little of the olive relish, a few pickled shallot rings and the remaining chopped chives. Serve.
Costa Blanca Gin & Tonic →
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.