The world is split between people who love fat, cakey cookies and those who like them thin and crispy. Turns out the temperatures of the butter and the oven make all the difference. With this single recipe and the Samsung Flex Duo Range with Dual Door™, you can win over both camps with a dozen cakey cookies and a dozen crispy ones that hit the cookie plate hot out of the oven at the same time.
Cakey and Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen
Yield: About 2 dozen
Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus chilling and cooling time
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes, plus chilling and cooling time
2½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, divided, ½ cup at room temperature and ½ cup melted
1 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
2 large eggs, at room temperature, divided
14 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped into ½ -to-1-inch chunks, divided
1. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. For the cakey cookies: In a large bowl or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the room-temperature butter with ½ cup of the brown sugar, ½ cup of the granulated sugar and ½ teaspoon of the vanilla extract at medium speed just until smooth. Beat in 1 egg until thoroughly incorporated, then add in half of the flour mixture and half of the chocolate chunks.
3. For the thin and crispy cookies: In a separate large bowl or in a clean stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the melted butter with the remaining brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract at medium speed just until smooth. Beat in the remaining egg until thoroughly incorporated, then add in the remaining flour mixture and chocolate chunks.
4. Cover both bowls with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 4 hours or preferably overnight. (The dough can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month.)
5. Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the Samsung Home Appliance Dual Door Range oven and preheat the ovens to 375° and 325°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
6. Spoon heaping tablespoons of each dough, placed 2 inches apart, onto separate baking sheets. Place the cakey cookie dough in the 375° oven. Place the crispy cookies in the 325° oven. Bake both cookies, rotating the baking sheets midway through baking, until very lightly browned in the centers, about 8 to 10 minutes.
7. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets until firm enough to handle, then use a metal spatula to transfer them to a wire rack. The baked cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days.