Waffles are a breakfast staple around these parts, and there's no better way to mix up your routine than incorporating seasonal ingredients like rhubarb. Here, we char the spring favorite then fold it into the batter to create fluffy and tart waffles that get topped with whipped cream, maple syrup and more sweet poached rhubarb for a balanced breakfast that's anything but boring.
Though this recipe is perfect for spring when rhubarb is in its prime, you can swap in any seasonal fruit and make the recipe year-round. Try strawberries or pineapple if you can't get your hands on the stalky stuff.
Charred Rhubarb Waffles
Recipe from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus cooling time
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes, plus cooling time
For the Poached Rhubarb:
2 large stalks (8 ounces) rhubarb, diced
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Waffles:
2 large stalks (8 ounces) rhubarb, cut into 6-inch pieces
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups whole milk
1 stick unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
Poached rhubarb, for topping
Whipped cream, for topping
Maple syrup, for topping
1. Make the poached rhubarb: In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring all of the rhubarb ingredients to a simmer and cook until the rhubarb is just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
2. Make the waffles: Heat a large cast-iron pan over medium-high heat. Add the rhubarb and cook, turning as needed, until well charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to cool, then finely chop.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt to combine. Whisk in the milk, eggs and melted butter until a batter forms, then fold in the charred rhubarb.
4. Heat a greased waffle iron according to the manufacturer's directions. Scoop 1 cup of batter into the center of the waffle maker and cook until golden brown and crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat the process until all the waffles are cooked.
5. To serve, place a waffle on a plate and spoon the poached rhubarb and its liquid over top. Dollop with whipped cream and finish with maple syrup.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.