Piñatas have a lot going for them, but they're lacking in one crucial element: You can't eat them once you're done beating out the goodies. That's why this entirely edible, candy-filled treat will be a popular guest at your Halloween party. It's both simple and fun to make, and the hidden candy filling is a better surprise than sneaking up on someone and shouting "boo!"
To minimize a sticky mess when molding the two halves, coat your hands with cooking spray so the marshmallow mixture slides right off. Watch the video to see how we made it from start to smashing finish.
Candy-Filled Rice Krispies Treat PumpkinRecipe adapted from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen
Yield: 1 large pumpkin (about 10 servings)
Prep Time: 10 minutes, plus freezing time
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes, plus freezing time
3 tablespoons butter
One 10-ounce bag marshmallows (5 cups, about 40 marshmallows)
Red and yellow food coloring
6½ cups crisped-rice cereal (such as Rice Krispies)
2 cups assorted candies
1 mini Tootsie Roll
1 fresh mint sprig
1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the marshmallows and increase the heat to medium. Stir occasionally as the marshmallows melt, about 5 minutes.
2. Once the marshmallows are completely melted, stir in the food coloring until the mixture is the desired shade of orange, using about 9 drops of yellow and 5 drops of red.
3. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the Rice Krispies until they're fully coated.
4. Spray the insides of two equally sized medium bowls with nonstick cooking spray. Press half of the Rice Krispie mixture evenly into the surface of one bowl, packing tightly all around. Repeat with the other bowl.
5. Freeze the bowls for 10 minutes to allow the mixture to set. When chilled, remove from the freezer and unmold the Rice Krispies halves from the bowls.
6. Fill one half with the candy (making sure not to overload it) and place the other half on top, gently molding to join the two halves. Shape the Tootsie Roll into a stem, place it on top of the pumpkin and garnish with the mint.
7. Store in the freezer until ready to smash and serve.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.