These bacon-wrapped dogs from Lejla Catovic (winner of Tasting Table's Backyard Battles) will have your guests hounding you for the recipe. Topped with jalapeños, caramelized shallots and an over-easy egg, these fine franks are bound to be a new cookout classic.
Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dog with Caramelized Shallots
Recipe by Lejla Catovic for Mike's Hard Lemonade
Yield: 1 hot dog
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
1 shallot, chopped into ½-inch dice
1 Brooklyn's Finest all-beef hot dog (or another long, thin hot dog)
2 pieces bacon
1 soft hero roll, or classic hot dog bun
Vermont Sharp cheddar cheese, sliced very thin
1 jalapeño, cut into rounds with seeds in
Chopped chives and parsley, for garnish (optional)
1. In a small pan over medium-low heat, melt two small squares of butter. Add the shallots and cook until brown and caramelized, stirring every few minutes, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. While the shallot is cooking, wrap the hot dog in bacon, using toothpicks to secure the bacon onto the hot dog. Place the hot dog on a heated grill and cook until the bacon is a little charred on every side, around 10 minutes.
3. As the hot dog is beginning to finish, butter the bread, then place the hero/hot dog bun onto the grill so it will become crisp. After 2 minutes, flip it over and add the sliced cheese for melting.
4. Meanwhile, remove the shallots from the heat and place in a bowl; set aside. In the same pan, add the egg and fry it for 2 minutes, depending on your desired yolk consistency.
5. Assemble the hot dog: Line the bun with jalapeños, then add the bacon-wrapped hot dog and shallots, and top it with the fried egg and some chives and parsley. Cut the egg down the middle to release the oozy yolk. And serve.