Inspired by Dallas chef Scott Romano, who vacuum-packs melon with Sriracha, Travel Channel's Adam Richman playfully combines sweet fruit and unexpected spice for a flavor-packed pico. Pair it with Mike's Hard Lemonade.
Shrimp Tacos with Honeydew Salsa
Recipe adapted from 'Straight Up Tasty,' by Adam Richman (Clarkson Potter) for Mike's Hard Lemonade
Yield: 12 tacos
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
For the Spicy Honeydew Salsa:
½ honeydew melon--peeled, seeded and small diced
¼ cup Sriracha
½ cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
4 plum tomatoes, small diced
1 jalapeño--stemmed, seeded, and finely minced
½ white onion, finely chopped
For the Shrimp Tacos:
6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 garlic cloves, crushed
12 small corn tortillas
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
Sliced iceberg lettuce, for garnish
1. Make the spicy honeydew salsa: In a sealable plastic bag, combine the honeydew and Sriracha. Press all of the air out of the bag, seal it and massage the sriracha and honeydew until all the fruit is coated, then refrigerate overnight.
2. The next day, in a large bowl, combine the marinated honeydew with the cilantro, lime juice, tomatoes, jalapeño and onion. Cover in plastic wrap and allow the mixture to marinate in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
3. Make the shrimp tacos: In a small bowl, combine 4 tablespoons of the olive oil and the smashed garlic, and let marinate for 30 minutes.
4. Light a grill, or alternatively heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the tortillas to warm through, 1 minute per side, then wrap in aluminum foil to keep warm. Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels, then brush them with the garlic oil. Thread the shrimp onto skewers and place on the grill. Cook, flipping once, until cooked through and lightly charred, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean plate and remove the skewers.
5. Divide the tortillas between plates and top with the grilled shrimp. Garnish with the honeydew salsa and iceberg lettuce, then serve.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.