We've declared August 11-22 Fried Chicken Fortnight. Watch this space for two full weeks of recipes, chicken talk, chef tips and more.
Creamy, briny oysters get ta crunch factor by getting a dusting of cornmeal and then taking a dip in the deep fryer. A luscious, Tabasco-spiked mayonnaise is the perfect dipping sauce.
Note: Chicken oysters are two small pieces of dark meat located next to the curved bone section next to the thigh. Named for its oyster-like shape, these tiny pieces of meat are prized among cooks and are usually covertly eaten before the remaining pieces of chicken are served. Find a trusted butcher to show where to find the oyster spot. Be careful, they may keep it for themselves.
Fried Oysters with Spicy Mayonnaise
Recipe from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
For the Spicy Oyster Mayonnaise:
8 medium oysters, such as Bluepoint or Malpeque, shucked, drained and bottom shells reserved
¾ cup mayonnaise
Juice and zest from ½ a lemon
4 dashes Tabasco
½ teaspoon paprika
Salt, to taste
For the Fried Oysters:
¾ cup cornmeal
¼ cup flour
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons whole milk
8 chicken oysters (see note)
24 medium oysters, such as Bluepoint or Malpeque, shucked, drained and bottom shells reserved
Canola oil, for frying
Salt and pepper, to taste
Finely chopped parsley for garnish
Cayenne, for garnish
Lemon wedges (optional)
1. Make the spicy oyster mayonnaise: In a food processor bowl, process the oysters, the mayonnaise, juice and zest from lemon, Tabasco and paprika until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and season with salt; set aside.
2. Make the fried oysters: Pour enough oil in a medium pot until it reaches a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°.
3. While the oil is heating, combine the cornmeal and flour together in a shallow. Beat the eggs and milk together in a medium bowl.
4. Working in batches, dip the chicken oysters and oysters in the egg mixture and then in the cornmeal mixture, making sure that each piece is coated evenly.
5. Fry the oysters in 4 batches, until light golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes. Fry the chicken oysters until golden brown and crips, about 3 to 4 minutes.Transfer the fried oysters to a wire rack placed over a paper towel-lined sheet tray. Season immediately with salt and pepper.
6. Place each oyster in the reserved oyster shells. Garnish with parsley and cayenne and serve warm with the mayonnaise and lemon wedges.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.