These eggs are baked with creamy leeks, spinach and a bit of cream, then topped with thyme, lemon zest and Aleppo pepper. When you bake them, watch the eggs carefully, so that you take them out when the whites are just set and the yolks are still runny.
To learn more, read "Going to the Mattresses."
Baked Eggs with Spinach and LeeksRecipe from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen
Yield: 2 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium leek (white and light green parts only), chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
8 cups baby spinach
Kosher salt, to taste
4 large eggs
¼ cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon finely chopped thyme
½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
¼ teaspoon Aleppo pepper or crushed red pepper flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and tender but not browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and spinach, season with salt, and cook until the spinach has wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Set 2 small ovenproof dishes onto a baking sheet. Divide the spinach-leek mixture equally between the dishes. Make 2 indentations in each dish, leaving about a 1-inch gap in between. Carefully crack each egg into an indentation. Pour 2 tablespoons of cream into each dish and season with salt.
4. Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake until the whites are just set but the yolks are still runny, 10 to 12 minutes.
5. Top the baked eggs with the thyme, lemon zest and Aleppo pepper, and serve.
Avocado-Cilantro Frozen Margarita →
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.