Emily and Matt Hyland of Pizza Loves Emily in Brooklyn first discovered this baked pasta dish when they were on their first date in Providence, Rhode Island. Rather than the fancy sushi place Emily had intended for them to go to, they ended up at Al Forno and fell in love with the "pasta in the pink," which eventually inspired them to recreate the dish to serve guests at their own restaurant.
To learn more, read "To Shell and Back."
Skillet-Baked Pasta with Five Cheeses
Recipe adapted from Emily and Matt Hyland, Pizza Loves Emily, Brooklyn, NY
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
1 pound small pasta shells
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 ounces fresh ricotta (about ½ cup)
3 ounces fontina, grated (1 cup)
3 ounces fresh mozzarella, grated (1 cup)
3 ounces pecorino, finely grated (3 cups)
3 ounce mild blue cheese, crumbled (¾ cup)
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 cup whole milk
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
3 whole scallions, thinly sliced at an angle
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until very al dente, 10 to 12 minutes, depending on the pasta's size. Drain the pasta, toss it with olive oil and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 500°. In a large mixing bowl, combine the five cheeses. Remove ½ of the cheese and set aside.
3. Pour the tomatoes and milk into the mixing bowl with half the cheese. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add the cooked pasta and rosemary and toss.
4. Pour the pasta into a shallow 12-inch cast-iron skillet. Sprinkle with the remaining ½ of the cheese and bake until the top is bubbling and golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes.
5. Top with scallions and serve.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.