We love a good turkey burger here at TT, but we were recently introduced to another non-beef option at Le Coq Rico in NYC, which changed everything. Chef Antoine Westermann serves a chicken burger topped with a sweet and tangy pineapple compote, perfect for anyone who loves the combination of sweet and savory as much as we do.
The texture of ground chicken makes for loose patties once formed, but don’t be alarmed—chilling helps firm them up. Just be sure to place the patties in the pan with care, and you’ll have perfectly cooked burgers in no time.
Chicken Burgers with Caramelized Pineapple
Recipe adapted from Antoine Westermann, Le Coq Rico, New York, NY
Yield: 4 burgers
Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus chilling time
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, plus chilling time
For the Chicken Patties:
1¼ pounds ground chicken
¼ cup crème fraîche
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
2 teaspoons chopped chervil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 shallot, minced
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
For the Caramelized Pineapple:
2 cups (12 ounces) finely chopped pineapple
1 cup white wine vinegar
2½ tablespoons honey
½ yellow onion, minced
1 cup water
Kosher salt and Espelette pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 brioche rolls, toasted
Arugula, for garnish
1. Make the patties: In a medium bowl, add all the chicken patty ingredients and mix until incorporated completely. With your hands, form 4 equal-sized patties from the mixture and place on a plate; cover with plastic wrap then chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, make the caramelized pineapple: In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the pineapple, vinegar, honey and onion. Bring to a simmer and cook until the vinegar has completely evaporated, about 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Once the pineapple begins to caramelize, stir in the water. Simmer until the pineapple thickens to form a compote, another 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and Espelette pepper.
4. Cook the burgers: In another large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, flipping once, until golden brown and their internal temperature reads 165º, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
5. Assemble the burgers: On each toasted bun bottom, place a patty, then top each with a spoonful of the caramelized pineapple, a handful of arugula and the other bun half. Then serve.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.