L.A.-based chef Ben Ford puts his own spin on the standard avocado toast by grilling the avocados before mashing them. He spoons them over some garlicky grilled slices of whole-wheat bread and tops them with very thinly sliced snap peas, morel mushrooms and a sprinkle of roasted hazelnuts.
To learn more read "Living a Tartine Dream."
Warm Avocado Tartine with Morel Mushrooms and Pea Salad
Recipe adapted from Ben Ford, Ford's Filling Station, Los Angeles, CA
Yield: 2 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
¼ pound morels—cleaned, trimmed and sliced into rounds
5 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon, olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, 1 smashed, 1 left whole
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
1 avocado, halved and seeded
1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon, fresh lemon juice, divided
Two ½-inch slices of whole wheat bread
1 cup (about 3 ounces) snap peas, stemmed and thinly sliced at an angle
½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
3 tablespoons hazelnuts, roasted and chopped
1 tablespoon honey
Flakey sea salt, to top
1. In a mixing bowl, toss the mushrooms with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the smashed garlic clove and the thyme. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat and add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove and discard the garlic.
2. Meanwhile, brush the avocado halves with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and grill alongside the mushrooms, flesh-side down, until lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Remove the mushrooms and avocado and set aside.
4. Scoop the avocado into a bowl and smash with 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and salt. Set aside.
5. Using a pastry brush, brush both sides of the bread with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Grill until the bread is lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove and scrape both sides of the bread with the whole garlic clove. Season with salt.
6. In a small mixing bowl, combine the snap peas, remaining lemon juice, lemon zest and 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Season with salt and toss.
7. Spread the avocado mash on top of the toast. Top with the morels, pea salad and hazelnuts. Serve the toasts with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt.