It's officially eggplant season, so we're highlighting this incredible piece of produce with a recipe from one of our favorite new restaurants of the summer, Nur in NYC. Chef Meir Adoni serves an eggplant carpaccio that combines all the Middle Eastern flavors you know and love. Smoky slices of eggplant are covered with tahini, sweet date molasses, crushed coriander seeds, feta cheese, chopped pistachios and plenty of fresh herbs. You're going to want to have plenty of pita on hand.
This is a great dish to make in advance. Have your eggplants grilled and sliced on a tray, and keep them in the refrigerator. Then, transfer them to a platter (you can also divide the slices between multiple plates) and let them come to room temperature before topping and serving.
Recipe adapted from Meir Adoni, Nur, New York, NY
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus cooling time
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes, plus cooling time
3 pounds (2 large) eggplants, pierced with a knife
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing
¼ cup tahini
2 tablespoons date molasses
3 tablespoons chopped pistachios
3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons minced basil
2 teaspoons minced chives
1 teaspoon rose water
1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
Pita, for serving
1. Light a grill. Place the eggplants on the hottest spot and grill, turning as needed, until charred and tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool.
2. Once cool enough to handle, peel the eggplants. Place over a sieve or colander to drain while they cool completely.
3. Once cooled, slice the eggplants into thin ¼-inch slices, carefully removing and discarding any seeds. Line a sheet pan with parchment and grease it with olive oil, then lay the eggplant slices on the pan. Cover the slices with another sheet of greased parchment facedown and place a sheet pan on top. Lightly press to flatten the slices.
4. Remove the sheet pan and top piece of parchment. Place an upside-down platter over the carpaccio and flip to invert. Remove the sheet pan and parchment.
5. Season the slices with salt and pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. Then, drizzle the tahini and date molasses over the slices and top with the remaining ingredients. Serve alongside the pita.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.