Billy Riddle, the executive chef at Philadelphia's outstanding newcomer Spice Finch, has a solution for the fancy-cake-averse: Just roll with it. As in, make a fluffy pumpkin cake and give it a sweetened cream cheese filling. Then, all you have to do is slice it to reveal a swirl inside that's sure to win over your guests.
Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling
Recipe adapted from Billy Riddle, Spice Finch, Philadelphia, PA
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes, plus cooling time
Total Time: 40 minutes, plus cooling time
For the Cake:
1 cup granulated sugar
⅔ cup pumpkin purée
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
6 tablespoons butter
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease and flour a 14 by 9-inch jelly roll pan and set aside.
2. Make the cake: Add the eggs and sugar to a mixer fitted with the wire whip attachment and cream until smooth and airy. Add the flour, baking soda and cinnamon, mixing until incorporated.
3. Spread evenly onto the prepared pan and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until the cake starts to break away from the pan.
4. Sprinkle a lint-free dish towel with confectioners' sugar and turn the cake out on top of it. Place the cake in front of you horizontally, and with the towel attached, roll the cake from bottom to top. Let cool in this position.
5. While the cake cools, make the filling: In a mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the ingredients until smooth and airy.
6. When the cake is cool, un-roll is and use a spatula to apply the filling. Re-roll the cake, slice and serve.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.