If you saw "grilled green beans" and instantly pictured all your prepped strands cascading through the grill grates, Abra Berens has a tip for you. In this recipe from her new cookbook Ruffage, she suggests placing a roasting or cooling rack perpendicular to the grates to keep your precious cargo safe—or, just take it inside and use your broiler. When paired with crispy chickpeas and refreshing yogurt sauce, no one will be any the wiser that the beans aren't actually grilled.
Charred Green Beans with Crispy Chickpeas & Curry Yogurt
Reprinted from Ruffage by Abra Berens with permission by Chronicle Books, 2019
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes hour
For the Crispy Chickpeas:
One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
½ cup olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
For the Green Beans:
1 pound green beans, roughly chopped
¼ cup neutral oil, plus more for cooking the beans
2 teaspoons curry powder
¾ cup yogurt
1 cup crispy chickpeas
1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
1. Make the chickpeas: Heat the oven to 350°F to 425°F—the hotter the oven, the faster they'll cook. Dress the chickpeas with the olive oil, salt, and chili flakes (if using).
2. Spread on a foil-lined baking sheet in a single layer and bake until crispy and deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool, keeping in a single layer or they will steam and soften. Keep at room temperature until ready to use. If they get soft, recrisp in the oven (a few minutes).
3. Make the green beans: Toss the green beans with a glug of neutral oil and a big pinch of salt and grill.
4. Meanwhile, heat the ¼ cup oil over high heat and when hot, add the curry powder and let bloom. Stir the curry oil into the yogurt.
5. Transfer the beans from the grill to a serving platter and drizzle with curry yogurt. Scatter with the crispy chickpeas and cilantro and serve.