We love a good casserole, especially for breakfast. And thanks to John Lewis, who recently opened Juan Luis in Charleston, South Carolina, we're starting our day with an almost frittata-like casserole with layers of roast poblanos and Monterey Jack cheese set in a creamy egg mixture.
This casserole starts out at 300 degrees, then gets bumped up to 400. Since every oven heats up at different times, keep an eye on the casserole. You're looking for the eggs to jiggle when you move the dish. To confirm, use an instant-read thermometer to see that it has reached 170 degrees.
Chile Relleno Breakfast Casserole
Recipe adapted from John Lewis and Ray England, Juan Luis, Charleston, SC
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus 30 minutes cooling time
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, plus 30 minutes cooling time
1¾ pounds (12 medium) poblano chiles
1½ cups half-and-half
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 garlic clove
Nonstick cooking spray
2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
Boiling water, for baking
1. Preheat the broiler to high and line a sheet pan with foil. Line the chiles next to each other on the pan and broil, turning as needed, until the chiles are well charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let steam for 15 minutes, then peel and deseed the poblanos using the back of a knife.
2. Lower the oven temperature to 300°. In a blender, combine the half-and-half, flour, salt, eggs and garlic. Blend on medium until smooth.
3. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and line with a quarter of the roast poblanos, followed by a quarter of the grated cheese. Continue this layering process until all the chiles and cheese have been used. Pour the egg mixture in to cover the chiles and cheese.
4. Place the baking dish in a roasting pan and fill the roasting pan with enough boiling water to come up halfway along the sides of the baking dish. Bake until the eggs begin to set, 30 minutes, then raise the temperature to 400° and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, until the eggs are fully cooked and the top is golden brown.
5. Let rest at room temperature for 15 minutes, then slice and serve.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.