Warm Vegetable Salad with Curried Almonds
Recipe adapted from Trevor Kunk, Blue Hill, NYC
Yield: 4 servings
Cook Time: 20 minutes
3 medium shallots, finely chopped
½ cup red wine vinegar
1¾ teaspoons salt, divided
2 tablespoons plus ¼ teaspoon sugar, divided
¾ teaspoon black pepper, divided
¼ cup blanched and peeled almonds
¾ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
¼ teaspoon curry powder
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed
½ cup sugar snap peas
½ cup snow peas
½ teaspoon white wine vinegar
½ teaspoon lemon juice
1 finely chopped tablespoon chives
4 cups mâche or baby spinach
Coarsely grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese
1. In a saucepan, bring the shallots, red wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons sugar and ¼ teaspoon pepper to a simmer over medium-high heat. Turn off the heat and let the mixture stand for 20 minutes. Transfer to a covered container and refrigerate overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°. Toss the almonds with ¼ teaspoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and toast for 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and toss with ¼ teaspoon sugar and the curry powder. Transfer to paper towels and reserve.
3. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Working with one vegetable at a time, blanch the asparagus, broccoli rabe, sugar snap peas and snow peas in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes each. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
4. Place the drained vegetables in a large bowl and add ½ teaspoon olive oil, the white wine vinegar, lemon juice, chives and pickled shallot mixture and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, add the mâche and toss gently to coat.
5. Divide the salad among 4 plates and scatter the curried almonds between the vegetables. Sprinkle each salad with cheese and serve.