To learn more about this recipe, read the related story, "Cruciferous Ways."
Cauliflower Steaks with Olive Pistou
Recipe adapted from Jason Neroni, Superba Snack Bar, Los Angeles
Yield: Two 1½-inch steaks
Cook Time: 1 hour
1 head cauliflower, leaves and root end trimmed
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup dry white wine
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Juice of 1 lemon
4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons kosher salt
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
2 oranges--peeled, segmented and coarsely chopped
¼ cup green olives (such as Manzanilla or Picholine), pitted and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons golden raisins
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Set the cauliflower on a cutting board and slice in half vertically. Cut off any florets that do not connect to the cauliflower's core, creating two "steaks" that are 1½ to 2 inches thick.
2. In a 9-by-11-inch baking dish, stir together the vegetable broth, wine, ¼ cup olive oil, the lemon juice, garlic, bay leaf and salt. Add the cauliflower steaks and tightly wrap the pan in foil. Roast until the cauliflower is fork-tender, about 45 minutes.
3. While the cauliflower is roasting, make the olive pistou: In a medium bowl, stir together the olive oil, lemon juice, oranges, olives, raisins, garlic, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Remove the cauliflower from the oven and carefully unfold the aluminum foil to vent some steam. Then remove the foil completely and use a spatula to transfer the cauliflower steaks from the liquid in the pan to a paper-towel-lined plate. Blot the top of the cauliflower dry and set aside.
5. Set a cast-iron skillet over medium heat until hot, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and once the oil shimmers, add the cauliflower steaks. Cook until golden-brown on both sides, about 6 minutes per side. Serve warm with the olive pistou. Calories per Serving: 662; Sodium: 1318mg; Total Carbohydrate: 57g; Fiber: 13g; Fat: 47g