To learn more, read "Whole Lotta Love" in our National edition.
Salt-Crusted Branzino with Agrumi Sauce
Recipe adapted from Paul Bartolotta, Bartolotta, Ristorante di Mare at the Wynn, Las Vegas
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Total Time: About 1 hour
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 1½ oranges)
1 tablespoon lemon juice (from about ½ lemon)
Zest of ½ orange
Zest of ½ lemon
¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
5 mint leaves, plus more for garnish
5 basil leaves, plus more for garnish
2½ pounds course sea salt (about 4 cups)
¼ cup anise seed
½ cup star anise, crushed in a mortar or food processor
Zest of 1 orange, cut using a zester tool (or grated)
Zest of 1 lemon, cut using a zester tool (or grated)
5 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 (2-pound) branzino or 2 (1-pound) branzini, cleaned
½ to 1 orange, sliced into ¼ inch half moons
Several sprigs flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Make the agrumi sauce: In a medium bowl, stir together all the ingredients, bruising the herbs with the back of a spoon. Season to taste with salt. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, then strain through a fine-meshed sieve.
2. In a large bowl, combine the coarse sea salt, anise seed, star anise, orange and lemon zests and egg whites; it will have the consistency of wet sand. Refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Stuff the fish's cavity with the orange slices and parsley sprigs. Spoon ⅓ of the salt mixture onto a baking dish large enough to hold the fish. Set the fish on the salt mixture (if using 2 smaller fish, set them side by side over the salt mixture.) Cover the entire fish with the remaining salt mixture and pat it down into place.
4. Bake until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the fish reaches 130°, about 20 minutes for a 1-pound fish or 25 minutes for a 2-pound fish.
5. Using a knife or spoon, crack the salt crust off the top of the fish and discard. Lift the fish from the salt and place on a work surface. Fillet the fish by removing the skin and large bones. Transfer the fillets to plates and serve with the agrumi sauce. Garnish with additional mint and basil leaves.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.