To learn more, read "What to Eat Now: Potatoes" in our National edition.
Potato Skins with Pork Belly and Kimchi
Recipe from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours, 45 minutes, plus marinating time
Total Time: 4 hours, 10 minutes, plus marinating time
2 pounds boneless, skinless pork belly, rinsed, patted dry and halved crosswise
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons ketjap manis, (teriyaki sauce can be substituted for ketjap manis)
1 small onion, peeled and roughly chopped
4 small carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
3 large russet potatoes (about 1½ pound), cleaned
2 cups kosher salt, plus more to taste
About 2 quarts canola oil
12 (roughly ½-by-3-inch) strips marinated and charred pork belly strips (recipe above)
⅓ cup grated aged Cheddar cheese (about 3 ounces)
1½ cups roughly chopped kimchi
2 scallions, green parts only, thinly cut on the bias
1. Prepare the pork belly: Preheat the oven to 350°. Season the pork belly with the salt, pepper and half of the ketjap manis, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
2. Put the onion, celery and carrot in a 9-by-9 inch baking pan and spread evenly across the bottom of the pan. Place the marinated pork belly on top of the vegetables and bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. Lower the heat to 300°, cover the baking dish with aluminum foil, and bake until the meat is tender but not falling apart, about 1 hour more. Let cool, then discard the vegetables and cut the meat into ½-inch-thick strips. (This can be done ahead. Store in the refrigerator. Let come to room temperature before proceeding with the next step.)
3. Preheat the broiler to high. Place the pork belly strips on a foil-lined baking sheet and top with remaining ketjap manis. Place the sheet pan about 4-inches from the broiler and broil until slightly caramelized, 2 to 4 minutes (watch carefully, as broiler intensities vary). Set aside.
4. While the pork belly is marinating, make the potato skins: Preheat the oven to 350°. Pierce each potato with a fork or a paring knife several times. On a small baking pan, spread the kosher salt evenly. Set the potatoes on the salt and bake in the oven until the potatoes can be easily pierced with knife, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Rub off any salt on the skin and let cool 10 minutes. Quarter the potatoes lengthwise and, using a spoon, scoop out all but ¼ inch of the flesh from the skins. (The flesh of the potatoes can be reserved for another use.)
5. In a large pot, pour canola oil to a depth of 3 inches. Heat the oil to 350°. Gently lower three or four potato skins, flesh side down, into the hot oil and fry until crispy and golden, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, lift them from the hot oil and set on a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Season immediately with kosher salt. Repeat with the remaining potato skins. Transfer the skins to a baking sheet and top each with 1 slice of the caramelized pork belly and some of the grated cheese. Broil until the cheese melts, about 20 seconds, then remove from the oven and top with the kimchi and scallions. Serve hot.