To learn more about this recipe, read the related story, "Double Rainbow (Trout)".
Pan-Seared Trout with Fennel, Apples and Avocado
Recipe from Brad Farmerie, The Thomas, Napa, CA
Yield: 2 servings
Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Zest and juice from ½ lemon
1½ teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons plain 2% Greek yogurt
Pinch of fennel pollen (optional)
2 tablespoons raw pistachios
1 small, mild red chile (such as a Fresno), halved and seeded
½ fennel bulb--halved, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
½ avocado--halved, pitted, peeled and chopped
¼ green apple, thinly sliced into matchsticks
10 fresh cilantro leaves
10 golden raisins
¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
Juice from ½ lime
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 whole trout (preferably rainbow trout)--boned, butterflied and heads removed
½ teaspoon flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
1. Make the lemon yogurt: In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon zest and juice, 1½ teaspoons olive oil, yogurt and fennel pollen (if using). Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
2. Make the trout: In a small skillet set over medium heat, add the pistachios. Cook, shaking the skillet often, until the pistachios are golden and toasted, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to cool, then roughly chop.
3. Thinly slice one half of the chile and finely chop the other half. To a large bowl, add the sliced chile along with the fennel, avocado, apple, chopped pistachios, cilantro and raisins. In a medium bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, lime juice, chopped chile and kosher salt. Drizzle in the olive oil while whisking to emulsify, then pour the dressing over the fennel mixture and gently toss to coat. Set aside.
4. Heat a grill pan or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot, 1 to 2 minutes. Spray with nonstick pan spray and place the fish in the pan skin side down so both of the skin sides of the fish are flush against the pan (you may need to cook the trout in batches, depending on the size of your pan). Season the flesh side of the trout with the flaky sea salt and cook until the flesh side is opaque around the edges and resists light pressure, 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Use a metal spatula to transfer each fish to a plate. Drizzle with the lemon yogurt and divide half of the salad over each fish. Serve. Calories per Serving: 732; Sodium: 1017mg; Total Carbohydrate: 26g; Fiber: 6; Fat: 48g