TT Tip: Pumpkin seed oil has a distinctive flavor and a deep green color. If you can't find it, substitute extra-virgin olive oil.
Mustard Greens and Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Maple Vinaigrette
Recipe from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen
Yield: Serves 6
Cook Time: 40 minutes
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
4 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2¾ teaspoons salt, divided
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
1 medium red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds mustard greens, stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
2 tablespoons pumpkin seed oil, divided
½ cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. On a rimmed baking sheet, combine the sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the remaining 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup, the cayenne pepper and ½ teaspoon salt. Roast until the sweet potatoes are tender and browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
2. In a small bowl, combine the apple cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup. Add the onion, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper, stir to combine and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, toss the mustard greens with 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Set aside.
4. In a large skillet set over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of the pumpkin seed oil and the pumpkin seeds. Toss to coat and toast, stirring often, until the pumpkin seeds are toasted and fragrant, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool and set the skillet aside (you'll use it again for the mustard greens).
5. Meanwhile, strain the onions from the vinegar-maple mixture and place in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 tablespoon pumpkin seed oil, the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the strained vinegar-maple mixture, whisking until the vinaigrette is thick and emulsified.
6. Set the skillet used to toast the pumpkin seeds over medium-high heat. Add the mustard greens and cook, using tongs or a wooden spoon to toss and stir constantly until the mustard greens begin to wilt, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl and add the sweet potatoes, reserved onions, toasted pumpkin seeds and vinaigrette. Season with salt and serve warm.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.