"This cake epitomizes the perfect encore to a summertime feast. Sweet, juicy, with an almost tropical scent—no other fruit comes close to expressing the pure joys of summertime quite like the peach. Mike's Black Cherry Lemonade is the perfect complement to this burst of intense seasonal flavor." — Graham Elliot
To see more recipes, go to "Reinvented American Classics."
Summer Peach Cake
Recipe adapted from Graham Elliot, Graham Elliot Bistro, Chicago
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 50 minutes
½ cup unsalted butter, plus more for buttering
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1½ cups packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
7 large, juicy peaches, divided: 4 peeled, pitted and roughly chopped; 3 peeled, pitted and halved
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350º. Butter and flour an 8- or 9-inch springform pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, sift the flour with the salt and baking soda.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed for 3 to 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
4. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the batter, alternating between the two. Mix until the batter is smooth.
5. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the roughly chopped peaches. Spread the batter in the pan, smoothing it as evenly as possible.
6. In a small bowl, whisk the granulated sugar with the cinnamon. Sprinkle the mixture over the batter. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool completely, about 45 minutes.
7. While the cake is baking, build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high. Brush the peach halves on both sides with olive oil and grill, flesh-side down, until lightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip the peaches and grill on other side until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
8. Top the cake with the grilled peach halves and serve.