To learn more about this recipe, see our related story, Home Sweet Casa, in our San Francisco edition.
Fried Rock Cod Tacos With Pumpkin Seed-Pepper Sauce
Adapted from Mateo's Cucina Latina, Healdsburg, CA
Yield: 12 tacos
Cook Time: 20 minutes
3 pounds rock cod (substitute halibut, black cod or any flaky white fish)
¼ cup raw shelled pumpkin seeds
3 jarred roasted red bell peppers
½ small can Nestlé Media Crema
2 cloves garlic, peeled
¼ cup orange juice
1½ tablespoons sherry vinegar
½ teaspoon hot Spanish paprika or pimentón
¼ cup semolina flour
Canola oil for frying
Twelve 6-inch corn tortillas
12 leaves Red Leaf lettuce
Flaky sea salt
1. Slice the fish into 12 finger-size strips, season with salt and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, toast the pumpkin seeds until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a blender, combine the peppers, Media Crema, garlic, orange juice, vinegar, paprika and reserved pumpkin seeds and blend until smooth. Set aside.
4. Line a cooling rack with paper towels. In a rimmed dish, coat the fish strips in the flour, shaking off any excess. In a high-sided pot set over medium-high heat, heat 2 inches of oil until the oil registers 400° on a deep-fry thermometer. Add the fish and cook until golden-brown, about 4 minutes. Remove the fish with a slotted spoon and place on the prepared rack.
5. In a medium skillet set over medium-high heat, warm the tortillas by turning them over every 30 seconds until pliable. Spread each with 1 tablespoon pumpkin seed-pepper sauce. Top with a piece of Red Leaf lettuce and place 2 fish strips on top. Spoon 2 to 3 spoonfuls of sauce over each serving and sprinkle with sea salt. Serve immediately.