To learn more about this recipe, see our related story, Cookie Nook, in our DC edition.
Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies
Recipe adapted from Jenna Huntsberger, Whisked!, Washington, D.C.
Yield: 16 cookies
Cook Time: 10 minutes
3 cups all-purpose flour
⅔ cup natural cocoa powder, sifted
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1½ cups granulated sugar
1 large egg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
3 drops green food coloring (optional)
1. Make the cookies: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, mix together the butter and granulated sugar until lightened and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat just until incorporated. Add the flour mixture and mix until evenly combined.
3. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and divide into two pieces. Shape each mound of dough into a ball, flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°. Working one chilled disk at a time, roll out the cookie dough on a floured work surface until ¼ inch thick. Use a 2½-inch round cookie cutter to cut the dough into circles and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake the cookies until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool completely before filling.
5. Make the filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the butter and powdered sugar together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the vanilla and peppermint extracts and stir to incorporate. Stir in the food coloring, if using. Scoop the filling into a piping bag or use a spoon to scoop 1 to 2 tablespoons of the filling onto the center of half of the cookies. Top each with another cookie and press down slightly to evenly distribute the filling. Serve immediately.