This September, embrace the upgrade with us: Make your eating and drinking better, faster and stronger.
McDonald's knew it had a good thing going with breakfast—so much so that it recently made it an all-day event (Egg McMuffin for dinner? Yes, please). When we thought of our perfect homemade breakfast sandwich, we drew inspiration from the golden arches and made it a bit spicier with a hit of Sriracha butter and a tad more grown-up, swapping American cheese for cheddar.
When cooking the omelet-style egg, use a rubber spatula to shape the egg into a large square. Once a skin has formed on the bottom, tip and gently shake the pan simultaneously, letting the egg slide into a fold. It's OK if it isn't perfect, because breakfast sandwiches almost always taste better when they are a hot, sloppy mess.
The Ultimate Breakfast SandwichRecipe from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen
Yield: 1 sandwich
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
For the Sriracha Butter:
¼ cup (½ stick) room-temperature unsalted butter
2 tablespoons Sriracha
For the Breakfast Sandwich:
1 English muffin, split
1 tablespoon Sriracha butter
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon whole milk
Pinch kosher salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 slices cheddar
2 slices thin-cut bacon, cooked
1. Make the Sriracha butter: Using a rubber spatula, combine the butter and Sriracha in a small bowl.
2. Make the breakfast sandwich: Toast the English muffin and spread the inside halves evenly with the Sriracha butter.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk and season with salt.
4. In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. When the butter begins to foam, add the eggs and reduce the heat to low. Using a rubber spatula, stir constantly, scraping down and around the sides, until mostly set on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Fold the omelet over itself to make a half moon. Fold again to resemble a square shape.
5. To serve, top the bottom half of the English muffin with the egg, cheese slices and bacon. Close with the remaining top half and eat immediately.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.