Who says you can’t eat pie for dinner? Cottage pie, like shepherd’s pie made with beef instead of lamb, features a rich meat stew topped with a crust of mashed potatoes. Here, chef Dominique Ansel braises short ribs in Burgundy wine before topping them with whipped potatoes for a rich and hearty dish. It’s a decadent French meal best served with a Burgundy red.
Be sure to keep an eye on the short ribs while they braise, stirring every 10 minutes. The starches will caramelize as they cook, so scrape those bits up into the stew before they burn.
To learn more, read “Pie by Night.”
Short Rib Cottage Pie with Whipped PotatoesRecipe adapted from Dominique Ansel, Dominique Ansel Kitchen, New York, NY
Yield: One 9-inch pie
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 40 minutes
For the Short Ribs:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2½ pounds boneless short ribs, small dice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, small dice
4 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
2½ cups red wine (preferably a Burgundy Pinot Noir), divided
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
For the Whipped Potatoes:
2 pounds (6 medium) Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
½ cup grated Parmesan
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
5 garlic cloves, finely minced
1½ sticks unsalted butter, softened
1. Make the braised short ribs: In a 6-quart dutch oven, melt the butter over medium high heat. Cook until it begins to brown, 2 minutes, then add the short ribs and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring as needed, until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the short ribs to a bowl and toss with the flour to coat.
2. Add the garlic, onions and carrots to the pot, and sweat until they soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook another 2 minutes. Pour in ½ cup of red wine, scraping the bottom to deglaze the pan. Cook until the liquid has evaporated and the vegetables begin to caramelize, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Add the reserved short ribs, the remaining wine, the rosemary and thyme to the pot and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, until tender 45 to 55 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375º.
4. Meanwhile, make the whipped potatoes: Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the potatoes until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain the potatoes well and transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Whip the potatoes until smooth and no longer steaming, 5 to 7 minutes, then add the remaining ingredients and mix until incorporated.
5. Spread the braised short ribs evenly in a 9-inch pie dish. Top with the whipped potatoes and place the dish on a baking sheet. Bake until the potatoes begin to caramelize, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly, then serve.
Truffle Bagel Burger →
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.