You may have had ceviche, but you have never had a seafood salad like this. Marinated fish, poached shrimp and lump crab meat is tossed with homemade cocktail sauce before getting finished with cucumbers, avocado and plenty of freshly grated horseradish. It's the perfect light summer starter.
This is the perfect dish to prepare ahead. Just keep all the components separate in the fridge and toss together right before serving.
To learn more, read "Night Shift."
Marinated Seafood Salad (Veuva la Vida)
Recipe adapted from Scott Schroeder and Pat O'Malley, Hungry Pigeon, Philadelphia, PA
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus 2 hours marinating time
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes, plus 2 hours marinating time
For the Marinated Fish:
1 pound skinless striped bass filet, small dice
1 cup lime juice
½ cup orange juice
1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
½ red onion, small dice
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons orange juice
For the Cocktail Sauce:
¼ cup tomato juice
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 tablespoon worcestershire
1 tablespoon tabasco
½ teaspoon old bay seasoning
2 ounces small red onion, roughly chopped
½ garlic clove
⅓ serrano chile
For the Veuva la Vida:
Marinated fish, drained
Marinated shrimp, drained
8 ounces jumbo lump crab meat
½ cup cocktail sauce
½ cup diced cucumber
1 tablespoon roughly chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon roughly chopped parsley
3 scallions, thinly sliced
2 avocados, diced
Fresh horseradish, grated, for garnish
Tortilla chips, for serving
1. In a medium bowl, combine the bass, lime juice, orange juice, salt and red onion. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat and prepare an ice bath. Add the shrimp and boil until just cooked, 1 minute. Transfer to the ice bath to cool. Once completely cool, drain and toss with olive oil and orange juice. Season with salt.
3. Make the cocktail sauce: In a blender, puree all the cocktail sauce ingredients until smooth.
4. Assemble the veuva la vida: In a large bowl, toss together the marinated fish, marinated shrimp, crab meat and ½ cup cocktail sauce to incorporate. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. Add the cucumber, cilantro, parsley, scallions and avocados to the bowl and toss to coat. Transfer to a bowl and garnish with grated fresh horseradish, then serve with tortilla chips.