Curtis Stone of Maude restaurant in L.A. makes this spicy Portuguese classic using both Fresno and Thai chiles. He marinates the chicken for up to a day before skewering and grilling it until lightly charred all over. Stone then pairs it with a refreshing, crunchy, addictive slaw made with mint, white onion and cucumbers.
To learn more, read "Sticks and Stone."
Piri Piri Chicken with Slaw
Recipe adapted from "Good Food, Good Life," by Curtis Stone
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus marinating time
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes, plus marinating time
For the Piri Piri Chicken:
6 red Fresno chiles, roughly chopped
4 red Thai chiles, stemmed
5 garlic cloves
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2½ teaspoons kosher salt
⅔ cup olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for grilling
1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1½-inch chunks
Bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 1 hour, or metal skewers
For the Cabbage and Cucumber Slaw:
¼ small head green cabbage, very thinly sliced (about 2½ cups)
¼ English cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on an angle (about ¾ cup)
¼ white onion, very thinly sliced (about ¼ cup)
¼ cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
Kosher salt, to taste
1. Make the piri piri chicken: In a food processor, combine the chiles, garlic, vinegar and salt. Pulse until finely minced. With the machine running, add ⅔ cup of olive oil and pulse until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, toss the chicken with ⅔ cup of the piri piri mixture to coat. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes or preferably overnight. Cover and chill the remaining piri piri sauce.
3. Prepare a grill for medium-hot heat or place a grill pan over medium-high heat. Thread 4 to 5 pieces of chicken onto each skewer.
4. Using a pastry brush, coat the grill with the remaining tablespoon of oil.
5. Grill the chicken, turning and basting often with the remaining ⅓ cup of sauce, until the chicken is cooked through and charred in spots, 12 to 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, make the cabbage and cucumber slaw: In a large mixing bowl, toss the cabbage, cucumber, onion, mint, olive oil, lime juice and zest. Season with salt.
7. To serve, divide the chicken skewers, slaw and flatbreads among 4 plates. Serve the remaining piri piri sauce alongside for dipping.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.