This creamy custard dessert is easy to make and fun to eat. The little coconut squares are the perfect bite to end any meal, both in Hawaii and on the mainland, too.
To learn more, read "Goochie Mane."
Haupia (Coconut Pudding)
Recipe adapted from Mark Noguchi, Mission Social Hall & Cafe, Honolulu, HI
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes, plus chilling time
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes, plus chilling time
6 tablespoons cornstarch
¾ cup water
One 12-ounce can coconut milk
½ cup sugar
3 tablespoons toasted coconut flakes
Flaky sea salt, for garnish
1. Lightly grease an 8-by-8-inch pan and line it with parchment paper, leaving a 1-inch overhang on the sides.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and water until there are no lumps. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the coconut milk and sugar, and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch-water mixture in a slow and steady stream, whisking constantly. After all of it has been added, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thick and opaque, 12 to 15 minutes.
4. Pour the haupia into the prepared pan and transfer to the refrigerator to chill and set, about 2 hours.
5. Slice into 1½-inch squares, sprinkle with toasted coconut and flaky sea salt, and serve.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.