You already love cauliflower rice, but have you been giving it the love it deserves? Instead of cooking it plain, we dress up cauliflower rice by wok-frying it with fragrant aromatics and smoky bacon. It's the perfect 30-minute weeknight meal.
Switch up the recipe by adding or replacing whichever vegetables you want. Try chopped zucchini, corn kernels or whatever you have on hand. You can even stir-fry some shrimp to add in if you're feeling wild.
Bacon Fried Cauliflower Rice
Recipe from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
4 ounces (3 slices) thick-cut bacon
3 scallions, whites minced and greens thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
One 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
1 cup broccoli florets, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
One 1½-pound cauliflower, riced (4 cups)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon sambal
1. In a wok, fry the bacon over medium heat. Cook, turning as needed, until crisp and the fat has rendered, 7 to 9 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a cutting board and roughly chop.
2. Meanwhile, add the minced scallion whites, garlic and ginger to the wok, and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the broccoli, carrot and onion, and cook until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the cauliflower rice and the reserved chopped bacon. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey and sambal. Toss to coat and cook until the cauliflower rice is tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Push the rice to one side of the wok and crack the egg onto the other. Using a wooden spoon, quickly scramble the egg with any accumulated juices until the egg is cooked and any liquid has thickened, 1 minute. Toss to evenly combine, then remove from the heat.
5. Divide between bowls, garnish with the reserved sliced scallion greens and serve.