This California-inspired breakfast burrito is enough to turn anyone into a morning person, and any excuse to call French fries breakfast is one that we can get on board with. You'll find this giant number at Egg Shop in New York City, but chef Nick Korbee was kind enough to include it in his recent cookbook so that anyone can get their steak, egg and avocado fix.
The California Breakfast BurritoAdapted from Egg Shop, by Nick Korbee, William Morrow Cookbooks
Yield: 2 burritos
Prep Time: 10 minutes, plus marinating time
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes, plus marinating time
For the Spicy Mojo Asada:
½ cup pickled jalapeños, with brine
3 garlic cloves
1 serrano chile, stemmed
½ bunch cilantro, leaves and stems
¼ cup soy sauce
Zest and juice of 1 lime
Zest and juice of 1 navel orange
1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
For the Burrito:
8 ounces shaved prime beef tenderloin
Two 12- to 14-inch flour tortillas
2 cups shredded Jack cheese
1 cup leftover french fries
1 avocado, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
1 cup salsa verde
¼ cup Mexican crema or Greek yogurt
1. Make the Spicy Mojo Asada: Puree all the ingredients in a blender.
2. Marinate the beef tenderloin in the spicy mojo asada for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and soft-scramble the eggs.
4. Lay out the tortillas. Divide the eggs evenly between the two, in a straight line down the middle third of each tortilla. Top each with the Jack cheese.
5. Wipe the pan and increase the heat to medium-high. Remove the steak from the marinade, add to the pan and cook it through, about 5 minutes. Add the fries halfway through.
6. Divide the steak between the tortillas, placing it next to the eggs in the upper two-thirds of the tortillas. Top each with avocado.
7. Fold the sides of the tortilla toward the middle, with your thumbs positioned just under the filling ingredients and your fingers underneath the tortilla. Fold the top third of the tortilla tightly over the filling. Push in with your thumbs to tuck the filling into tortilla and roll the toward you to close the deal. Repeat to make the second burrito.
8. Wipe the skillet again and return it to medium heat. Place the burritos fold side down and cook for 1 minute, until crisp. Carefully flip the burritos to crisp the top side.
9. Top with salsa verde and crema to serve.
Buckwheat Banana Bread →
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.