To learn more, read "All Hail the Snail" in our National edition. See the other recipe in our story: Endive and Radicchio Salad with Snails and Toasted Hazelnuts.
Bucatini with Snails, Guanciale and AnchoviesRecipe from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
⅓ cup fresh breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 ounces thinly sliced guanciale or pancetta
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup finely chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
8 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained and smashed into a paste
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (4.3-ounce) can large wild Burgundy snails, drained
1 pound bucatini
1 teaspoon lemon zest
¼ cup torn basil leaves
¼ cup finely grated Pecorino Romano
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Toss the breadcrumbs with the olive oil and spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. While the water is heating, place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the guanciale and sauté until crisp, about 3 minutes. Add the olive oil and onions and cook until the onions have softened, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic, anchovy paste and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute. Add the crushed tomatoes and reduce heat to low, and cook until sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes. Add snails and heat through, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook the pasta following the package instructions until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
4. Transfer the pasta to the skillet containing the tomato-snail mixture and gently toss with the sauce. If the pasta seems dry, add a splash of the reserved pasta water. Add lemon zest and basil.
5. Divide pasta between four bowls and top with freshly grated Pecorino and the toasted breadcrumbs, dividing evenly.
Shobji Dal (Lentils with Vegetables) →
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.