Cooking

Most San Marzano Tomatoes Sold in the U.S. Are Fake

Homemade pizza will never be the same
Your San Marzano Tomatoes Could Be Fake
Photo: Tasting Table

Homemade pizza or a big bowl of pasta with red sauce is not the same without a can of San Marzano tomatoes. It's one of the best brands you can buy and, luckily for us, can easily be found at any grocery store across the country—or so we thought.

Unfortunately, those canned San Marzano tomatoes you've been buying are probably fake.

The president of Consorzio San Marzano shared some shocking news with Gustiamo, an Italian importing company, saying only about 5 percent of San Marzano tomatoes sold in the U.S. are actually real. That means the remaining 95 percent are imposters.

RELATED   An Unofficial Ranking of Supermarket Jarred Tomato Sauce Options »

So how can you tell which ones are fake and which are real? First is the price: A can of real San Marzano tomatoes is going to cost you about $5. Secondly, authentic cans must say "Pomodoro San Marzano dell’Agro Sarnese Nocerino" on them. Don't rely just on the DOP label, as Taste reports, companies in the U.S. will put fake labels on tomatoes that have been sent over from Italy. Lastly, real San Marzano tomatoes are never chopped, diced or puréed.

Next time you're at the store, take a closer look at what you're grabbing off the shelf.

LET’S DISCUSS:

Get the Tasting Table newsletter for adventurous eaters everywhere
X Share on FB →

Around the Web