Food - Drink
Why You Should Think Twice Before Eating Leftover Mushrooms
While microwaving day-old dinners may be one of the most convenient ways to repurpose a meal, there are some things it does not work for, and one of them is mushrooms. If mushrooms are not refrigerated quickly after being cooked, their complex enzymes and proteins will begin to break down.
This makes them susceptible to dangerous bacteria, which can be worsened by the reheating process — microwave or otherwise. To protect yourself from bacteria, don’t leave your cooked mushrooms at room temperature for more than two hours before placing them in the fridge.
If you put the mushrooms in the refrigerator within that time frame, and your reheating simply involves last night's leftovers, you should be fine. If not, you can either eat your leftovers cold or cut your losses and toss them.