Ludwig van Beethoven
Beethoven's Favorite Way To Drink Wine Led To His Death
Beethoven's well-documented passion for wine lasted until his final moments. Unfortunately, the cheap wine he favored was often flavored with lead acetate.
Also known as "lead sugar," lead acetate is a toxic substance. The kettles used to ferment wine were soldered with it, and it was also used to seal wine bottles.
Beethoven’s lead consumption was discovered when the Mayo Clinic tested three locks of the composer’s hair. The hair came from the personal collection of businessman Kevin Brown.
The dangerously high levels found in the locks suggest that lead poisoning exacerbated Beethoven’s numerous health issues, including hearing loss, and contributed to his death.