This recipe--a mix of gin, vermouth and pineapple syrup poured over a glass of flaming absinthe--comes from Brian Means, the cocktail manager at Dirty Habit in San Francisco.
The Pink Elephant
Recipe adapted from Brian Means, Dirty Habit, San Francisco
Yield: 1 cocktail
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: N/A
Total Time: 5 minutes
1½ ounces Fords Gin
½ ounce fresh lemon juice
½ ounce pineapple syrup (2 parts sugar to 1 part pineapple juice, boiled to dissolve the sugar)
½ ounce Bianco vermouth
3 dashes orange bitters
Absinthe, as needed
Orange peel, for garnish
1. Combine the gin, lemon juice, pineapple gum syrup, vermouth and orange bitters in a shaker and add ice.
2. Pour a little bit of absinthe into a rocks glass.
3. Shake the cocktail for about ten seconds.
4. Using a match, light the absinthe in the glass and rotate it to coat the inside.
5. Double strain the cocktail into the glass and garnish with the orange peel.