To learn more, read "We Came, We Clawed, We Conquered" in our National edition.
The Tasting Table Lobster Roll
Recipe from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
5 whole star anise pods
2 heads garlic, halved
4 dried árbol chiles
1 (6-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into ¼-inch coins
3 stalks lemongrass, trimmed, tough outer layer removed and stalk bruised and tied into a knot
2 (1½ pound) live lobsters
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon finely minced parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped chives plus 1 tablespoon chives, cut into ½-inch pieces
2 teaspoons reserved lobster cooking liquid
1 teaspoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon lemon zest
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon celery salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
4 split-top hot dog rolls
1. Fill a large stockpot ¾-full of salted water and set over high heat. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from the lemon in long strips. Add it to the pot along with the star anise, garlic, árbol chiles, ginger and lemongrass. Bring to a boil, then add the lobsters, completely submerging them. Cook for 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 teaspoons of cooking liquid, and let the lobsters cool until you can easily handle them.
2. Separate the claws and tail from the body. Using seafood shears, split the claw open and pull out the meat. With a sharp knife, cut the tail in half lengthwise, remove the meat and coarsely chop.
3. In a large mixing bow, stir together the mayonnaise, parsley, finely chopped chives, reserved cooking liquid, lemon juice and zest, pepper and celery salt. Gently fold in the lobster.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Melt the butter and add the Old Bay seasoning. Place buns in the skillet and toast each side until golden brown, about a minute per side.
5. Fill each bun with lobster salad, garnish with the chive matchsticks and serve immediately.