This adaptation is somewhere between a Sazerac and a Manhattan, in which an amaro and vermouth add newfound complexity.
Rhythm and Soul
Recipe adapted from Greg Best, Holeman & Finch Public House, Atlanta
Yield: 1 cocktail
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Crushed ice
- 1 bar spoon French Absinthe
- 2 ounces rye whiskey
- ½ ounce Averna
- ½ ounce Carpano Antica Formula
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Ice cubes
- One 2-inch strip lemon peel
1. Fill a rocks glass with crushed ice. Add the absinthe and roll the glass to coat.
2. In a mixing glass, combine the rye, Averna, Carpano Antica Formula and the bitters and fill with ice cubes. Discard the crushed ice and absinthe from the rocks glass. Strain the contents of the mixing glass into the chilled rocks glass. Twist the lemon peel directly over the drink to release its oils. Discard the lemon peel and serve.