The toughest part of dinner at NYC pizza gem Speedy Romeo has always been refraining from ordering every single one of executive chef/partner Justin Bazdarich's pies. But the newly launched Stilettos Slice Lounge at the Lower East Side location lets you (and a crowd) do just that, with eight options ranging from the Caulifornication, with vegan ranch and wood-fired cauliflower, to the Greek-leaning Zeus Is Loose. And, of course, there's the Brocky Balboa, this green machine powerhouse of a pizza slice, complete with béchamel, roasted broccoli, Provel, garlic chips and speedy sauce.
Roasted Broccoli, Béchamel & Garlic Pizza
Yield: One pizza
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
For the Béchamel:
2 sticks (½ pound) butter
⅓ onion, diced
1 cup 00 flour
1 quart whole milk
⅔ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon salt
For the Speedy Sauce:
1 cup pickled jalapeños
½ cup reserved pickling jalapeño liquid
1 cup roasted mushrooms
1½ heaping tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
2 cups canola oil
For the Pizza:
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup basil, chopped
10 cloves garlic
Pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
2 cups Provel
Parmesan cheese, grated
Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
Red pepper flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Make the béchamel: Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over medium heat until soft, without letting it get color.
3. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add the milk slowly while whisking. Add the nutmeg and salt. Bring to a boil while whisking; let boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour into a bowl and let cool.
4. Make the sauce: Add all ingredients except for the oil to a food processor and blend until combined. Slowly drizzle in the oil while the machine is running. Set aside.
5. Toss the broccoli with olive oil and salt and place on the prepared pan. Roast until charred and crunchy, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and toss with chopped basil.
6. Meanwhile, use a mandoline to thinly slice the garlic. Fry in olive oil until crispy and golden, then place on a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
7. Make the pizza: Turn the oven up to 550°F. Shape the dough into a 9- to 12-inch circle and place on a baking stone or an inverted baking sheet pan. Spread a thin layer of béchamel on top. Add the roasted broccoli and top with Provel. Add the grated cheeses, sprinkle with dried oregano and red pepper, and bake for 7 minutes. Slice, drizzle with sauce, garnish with the garlic chips and serve.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.