Recipe adapted from Field Guide to Candy
Yield: 80 pieces
Cook Time: 15 minutes
2½ cups confectioners' sugar
¼ cup powdered milk
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
⅔ cup cornsyrup
⅓ cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Food coloring, if desired
1. In a bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar with the powdered milk and salt and set aside.
2. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and butter. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Stir in the powdered-milk mixture and let the dough rest for a few minutes until it's cool enough to handle.
3. Divide dough into 3 equal portions and place each in a separate bowl. Add food coloring as desired, kneading each portion of dough until the coloring is evenly distributed and the dough is smooth and stiﬀ.
4. Roll each piece of dough into a rope about 1/2 inch thick. Place the three ropes of dough next to each other to form a long rectangle. Use a rolling pin to gently press them together.
5. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into triangles and place them on a baking sheet. Let set for about 1 hour. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 month.